Saturday, October 9

recipe of the week: acorn squash

Okay, so I am not claiming to be any sort of chef or cook, but I have really started to enjoying making things lately. Even though I am forced to cook in the very back of our apartment in the kitchen that we like to call a "fun house kitchen" since our apartment seems to get smaller the farther you walk back and the cabinets sort of lean in on you........... I have somehow managed to make a few edible dinners. I mean, I am just basically following recipes and seeing what happens. I attempted to make something up earlier in the week (clearly too ambitious...) and it ended up being a running mess, but my sweet adorable husband gobbled it up and told me it was good. I know he has to say that and he is a garbage disposal so he will basically eat anything. ANYWAY, with my new found love for cooking and especially anything to do with seasonal vegetables, farmers markets, locally grown food........ I am going to start doing a recipe a week or more like a vegetable of the week. I was really super duper sad to give up all my summer fruits and vegetables (tata summer squash and wonderful tomatoes......) and have had to adapt to all the fall produce. This is the second time I have made this, but this Southwestern Stuffed Acorn Squash is awesome. It is really filling and is simple to make. You can make it vegetarian by omitting the turkey sausage, but I actually added a little lean ground beef instead to Wesley's and he really liked it. Also, I overcooked the squash a little bit in the oven to give it a crispy top. I like burned food, okay? Serve with a side of sour cream (duh) and you've got a meal. It may not look pretty, but it suuurreeee tastes good. Happy Fall!

No comments: